スマートフォン用ページを表示する場合にはこちらをタップしてください

English > Interesting Places and Festivals > Historical Sites > The Statues of the Japanese Boy Ambassadors

ここから本文です。

update:January 20, 2016

The Statues of the Japanese Boy Ambassadors

 

The Statues represent Mancio Ito, Miguel Chijiwa, Juliano Nakaura, and Martino Hara who were teenage boys and members of the first official Japanese embassy to Europe. The statues were put up in praise of their great achievements in 1982, the 400th anniversary of the embassy's departure from Nagasaki for Europe. The statues are located on the mainland side of Mishima Bridge which leads to and from Nagasaki Airport.

About the Four Boys
They were Christians who studied at a seminary that Alessandro Valignano, a Jesuit missionary, established in the Arima area. It was Valignano’s plan to send Japanese representatives to Europe. He chose these four boys as delegates by recommendation of three Christian Daimyo: Sumitada Omura, Sorin Otomo, and Harunobu Arima. Valignano, the four boys, and other members of the delegation left Nagasaki in 1582. All except Valignano reached Portugal in 1584. They were granted audiences with King FelipeⅡ of Spain, and Pope Gregory ⅩⅢ and Pope Sistus Ⅴ in Rome.
After fulfilling their mission, they returned to Nagasaki in 1590.